Putumayo announces the May 22nd release of Bluegrass, an engaging collection featuring many of the genre’s most renowned artists along with exciting new discoveries. The album is Putumayo’s first venture into the world of bluegrass and includes Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, Peter Rowan, David Grisman and other stars alongside some of today’s up-and-coming young groups like Railroad Earth, Town Mountain and Uncle Earl.
Bluegrass offers insight into the variations within the genre, from the mesmerizing vocals and skillful instrumentation of Alison Krauss and Union Station (“Every Time You Say Goodbye”) to Railroad Earth’s contemporary newgrass sound on “Been Down This Road.” Then there’s the lively rendition of “Jackaroo,” by legends David Grisman and Jerry Garcia, alongside the soft, contemporary sounds of Andrea Zonn with Alison Brown.
Frank Solivan’s “Across the Great Divide” and Peter Rowan’s “Man of Constant Sorrow,” transport listeners with their earthy, newgrass style. James Alan Shelton brings his beautiful melody-oriented guitar playing to the traditional song “Shady Grove,” and Crooked Still adds a modern bluegrass sound to “New Railroad.” One of bluegrass music’s longest performing groups, The Seldom Scene, provides their distinctive vocals and picking to the Dylan classic “Boots of Spanish Leather” followed by the versatile all-girl string band Uncle Earle on “The Last Goodbye.” Young North Carolina natives Town Mountain contribute their original, traditional bluegrass stylings with “Diggin’ On The Mountainside,” while the inimitable Sam Bush, brings his beloved mandolin playing to “Diamond Joe.” The album closes with a rendition of the gospel favorite “I’ll Fly Away,” performed by a variety of talented artists.
1. Alison Krauss & Union Station – Every Time You Say Goodbye – (United States)
2. Railroad Earth – Been Down This Road – (United States)
3. David Grisman and Jerry Garcia – Jackaroo – (United States)
4. Andrea Zonn with Alison Brown – New Night Dawning – (United States)
5. Frank Solivan – Across the Great Divide – (United States)
6. Peter Rowan – Man of Constant Sorrow – (United States)
7. James Alan Shelton – Shady Grove – (United States)
8. Crooked Still – New Railroad – (United States)
9. The Seldom Scene – Boots of Spanish Leather – (United States)
10. Uncle Earl – The Last Goodbye – (United States)
11. Town Mountain – Diggin’ On The Mountainside – (United States)
12. Sam Bush – Diamond Joe – (United States)
13. Various Artists – I’ll Fly Away – (United States)